Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The End is Near

It is bizarre to think that I am coming up on my last few weeks in Europe, I just got back from the last of my planned trips, and have to start buckling down for exams next week.

Sadly, after just under five days speaking English with people that didn't even have the same accent as me, my host family says I have my English accent back when I speak French. Oops!

It was strange to be in English speaking countries (Ireland and Scotland) the last several days. I kept translating questions in my head, and then I realized there was no need! I also noticed that even their culture is more closely related to ours back home than the other countries I have visited. It felt like a little taste of what returning to home will be like.

Skylar and I spent last Tuesday night in Paris, and left our hostel at 5 a.m. to start the journey that would take us to Ireland. We spent the day exploring Dublin, which included a tour of the Guinness Storehouse where I poured the perfect pint. Even Skylar, who does not like beer, thought the tour was worthwhile.

Me being terrified I was going to spill Guinness everywhere. Notice the
instructor is laughing at me...
Didn't spill! Officially greatest Pour Master ever.
The people in Ireland are simply lovely. Everyone was super helpful, offering us assistance on the street when they saw us quizzically staring at our map. Their sweet accents made everything they said better.

We found our way to St. Patrick's Cathedral, and, as an SPC alum, I was obligated to stike a pose in front of it. I have now been to the one in Ireland, New York, and most importantly Kentucky.

We spent the night in our hostel, right down the street from the famous Temple bar, and were up early again the next day to explore the countryside. We made the excellent decision to take a guided tour of Wicklow National Park, which is just outside of Dublin.

First important discovery on this trip: I love sheep. I love them. Better yet, we came in the season where they all just had babies, so we got to se precious little lambs everywhere.
This picture is actually from Scotland, but I loved Irish and Scottish
sheep equally.

Our guide/driver knew EVERYTHING about Ireland. We not only learned about the land, but the history and culture too. He made lots of loving jokes about the English, and had many insights of life and the Irish way of living. We hiked to hidden lakes, and looked down upon green valleys filled with sheep. One of the best experiences was drinking fresh water from a stream. We ate Irish stew, practiced the Irish sport of hurling, and enjoyed rainbows after the frequent rains. I don't think I can adequatly describe how beautiful Ireland was. So I will just say this: no picture you have ever seen of Ireland does it's beauty justice, none.

They say the rivers look like they are
flowing with Guinness. I tried it. They are not.
It is water.

Happy, happy, happy to be in Ireland.
I was actually really sad to go, and a little worried that Scotland would not be quite as wonderful. Fear not. Scotland was awesome too.

After by far the easiest night of travel ever, we found ourselves the dramatically dark city of Edinburgh. We had to ask directions to our hostel at a fish and chips shop, and found it was right next to the city's dramatic castle. We woke up the next day, and grabbed some tea and breakfast at The Elephant Cafe, and then went on a walking tour of the city. The tour was really great, I would recommend it to anyone going somewhere where they are unsure what to do. You paid what you wanted  (they called it a 'tip' for your guide), and they really were able to show you the city and suggest things to do afterwards. Without it I don't think we would have known what to do with ourselves. The tour was informative but light, and I left feeling like I had gotten to really know the city.

We learned on the tour that in medieval times they would
 nail 'criminal's' ears to this in punishment.

We took another bus tour the following day, this time to the West Highlands. The tour was bigger and therefore a little less fun, but the guide was spunky and wore a kilt and recounted to us all four times he had been on TV in his wonderful Scottish burr.


Scotland was equally as beautiful as Ireland, but I think the difference lies in that Scotland seemed darker and more shrouded in mystery with all its misty mountains. Ireland, to me, seemed a bit lighter and open. Both were definitely worth exploring.

Our guide kept calling, what I considered to be a mountain "hills."
This is just the top portion of a "hill"
The Scottish accent was surprisingly a lot more difficult to understand than I thought it would be. Most people we had no problem understanding, but  there were a few that made me think it might be easier if we had been speaking French.

Highland Cow
In Scotland we also discovered the shortbread cookie. I think we must have eaten them at least every other meal. We also ate haggis, which was pretty good. Although, we were told there is a bit more regulation these days about what you can and cannot put in haggis. I also tried a Scottish Whiskey that was older than me by four years. It felt like I was breathing fire afterwards.

Haggis
In short, our quick trip was a huge sucess. I am even more obsessed with each place than I was before we left. However, I am looking forward to resting a while in Caen, and enjoying my last few weeks here, doing all the things I have loved so much about France.

I have mixed emotions that alternate between excitment for home and depression toward leaving all my adventures behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment