Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Exploration

 Exploring the city has been the main activity on my agenda the past couple of days. I think I am beginning to figure out my way around town. I like to walk most of the time, because it helps me remember how to get places and make a mental map. Walking in Caen also lets me enjoy my beautiful surroundings. I keep expecting people to pop their heads out of windows and sing "Bonjour" like in Beauty and the Beast. However, I have also begun taking the tram system if my destination if further away.

Today, we tried to find a bank downtown to set up French accounts, but never could find it. We asked several people for directions, but no one had heard of it. We are going to try again tomorrow, hopefully with its address in hand. While downtown, we stopped at a Boulangerie (Bakery). I bought what I think was called Une tarte chèvre tomate, which was tomato and goat cheese on bread, and un pain au chocolat. I ate the tarte first and saved the bread and chocolate for later. Both where amazing and inexpensive! I will definitely be making bakery visits often over the next four months. The food here is delicious. I have had crepes, quiche, galette des rois, and more!
La tarte chèvre tomate

Pain au lait, Camembert cheese, nutella and an apple.
 I also went to Le Château Ducal, William the Conquerer's Castle, while some of my friends were in class. It was so bizarre casually walking around such an historical place. Not many people were around the castle. It felt like I had the whole place to myself. I climbed up walls to little lookout windows, from which it seemed like I could see all of Caen. I took lots of pictures, and plan to go back soon to visit the museum and the art gallery with my friends.
Outer wall of Le Château.

Part of the interior of the castle.
I am slowly speaking more French, asking for directions, talking to my host family and/or roommate. I can't wait for classes to start. I am sure with them my French will speedily improve. It will also be nice to have a schedule and routine. We are also planning on visiting Paris for the weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Rachael!!! You're in France! I'm so overwhelmed with Spanish right now that I can't think of any French words! It's very sad. But I'm so glad to hear that my language buddy is doing great in France. Miss you lots! Have fun and keep posting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so overwhelmed with French right now that I can't think of French words...Hope Spain is just as fun, I hope I can make it over there before the semester ends!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you're keeping a blog! I definitely plan on stalking this frequently throughout the next few months. Miss and love you!! Good luck little nugget :)

    ReplyDelete